New Recipe 1: Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
My July Challenge is to try a new recipe every week of the month. I have found that I typically stick to the same 5-7 meals and just rotate through them, but I would like a little more variety, hence this new challenge. I've quickly realized a very real problem though, I am not a recipe follower. This should be fun - ha! Either way, I am taking recipes I find online and following them fairly accurately, but still doing my own thing...
The first recipe was Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps and they did not disappoint. They were a tad more sauce-based than I'd like, but considering I made the sauce myself, at least I knew exactly what it consisted of and as far as sauces go, this one wasn't terrible. I would 10/10 recommend this meal and I have no doubt I will be making it again, considering Ian had no problem finishing off the leftovers as we watched the Bachelorette.
What you'll Need:
1 lb Ground Turkey
1 tbsp Olive Oil
2 cloves Garlic
1 Red Bell Pepper, Diced
1 Small Onion, Diced
1/4 cup Hoisin Sauce
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce (I used 4 tbsp)
1 cup Rice
3 Green Onions
1 Head Butter Lettuce
1. Cook the rice in a rice cooker or on the stove as you usually would.
2. Heat Olive Oil in a small and large saucepan. Add the ground turkey to the large saucepan and let it start to brown. After about 3-5 minutes add the chopped onion to the small saucepan.
3. Let the onion brown for 1-2 minutes before adding in the bell pepper. Salt and Pepper it to taste.
4. While the ground turkey, onion and bell pepper cooks assemble the sauce in a bowl. Mix together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce and ginger. Once the ground turkey is mostly cooked through, add half the sauce. Stir together.
5. When the ground turkey is cooked through add in the onions and bell pepper and stir in the remaining sauce. Let it sit for a couple of minutes then stir in the rice.
6. Serve on the butter lettuce and top with green onions.
For the original recipe, click here.