New Recipe 3: Spicy Shrimp Burrito Bowls
My July Challenge is to try a new recipe every week of the month. I have found that I typically stick to the same 5-7 meals and just rotate through them, but I would like a little more variety, hence this new challenge. I've quickly realized a very real problem though, I am not a recipe follower. This should be fun - ha! Either way, I am taking recipes I find online and following them fairly accurately, but still doing my own thing...
My 3rd recipe was a little bit more off-the-cuff. I wanted so badly to find a good spicy shrimp burrito bowl recipe, but couldn't seem to find one that fit our dietary restrictions without having to change it about 50%. Instead I took inspiration from the few recipes I found and created my own spin.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
What You'll Need:
12-16 oz. Cooked Shrimp
1 - 16 oz. can Black Beans
1 - 16 oz. can Yellow Corn
1 cup Brown Rice
3 cups Romaine Lettuce
Salt, Pepper, Cayenne, Chipotle Chili Lime Seasoning to taste
1. Unthaw the cooked shrimp in a bowl of warm water. Clean the shrimp while its unthawing and drain the bowl. Set aside.
2. Start the 1 cup of rice in a rice cooker or on the stove.
3. Heat 1-2 tbsp olive oil in a large pan on the stove. Add in the beans and corn (make sure the cans are first drained of water). Leave for about 2-3 minutes, stirring together the beans and corn. Add in the shrimp, stir together.
4. Add salt, pepper, cayenne and chipotle chili lime seasoning (from Trader Joe's) to taste. Continue to stir in the seasonings as you add. Then let it simmer on medium heat while rice finishes cooking.
5. Chop the romaine and cut out thin slices of the avocado into two bowls and set aside.
6. Once the rice is finished serve rice with the shrimp, bean and corn mixture and top with avocado and romaine lettuce as desired and enjoy!