New Recipe #1: Chicken Carnitas Tacos
Time for a NEW RECIPE!
Can you tell I'm excited?! July's challenge is a new recipe each week and to really mix things up I am doing a different type of food each week. This week = Mexican (well, American Mexican). These tacos turned out very tasty and perfectly moist. Tacos can be dry without adding salsa or sour cream, but these didn't need salsa and I'm thinking it had something to do with the tomatoes...
What You'll Need:
12-16 oz. Chicken
2 Cups Cabbage
Salsa (if desired)
Cilantro (for garnish)
Seasoning Mixture: Pink Himalayan Salt, Cumin, Chili Powder; Chipotle Powder
1. Add the chicken in a slow cooker / crockpot on low for 3-4 hours with chicken stock or water. Use 1 cup of chicken stock per 12 oz. of chicken.
2. After 3-4 hours, remove chicken and shred with two forks then place back into the crockpot on low.
3. Wash and chop the onion, cabbage and tomatoes and add to the crockpot. Mix together with the seasoning mixture.
4. Squeeze 2-3 limes into the crockpot and mix all ingredients together.
5. Continue to cook together in the slow cooker, stirring occasionally for another 2-3 hours.
6. 15-20 minutes before you're ready to eat, warm the tortillas in a pan on the stove. Approximately 2-3 minutes each side depending on the size of your tortillas.
7. Serve on warmed tortillas with cilantro, salsa and limes for garnish and enjoy!
Find the recipe I used for inspiration here.