New Recipe #3: Chicken + Rice Fajita Soup
January's challenge is bringing back the New Recipe challenge. Basically I will learn a new recipe or meal each week and post it here on the blog! I love these recipe challenges because they get me to try new meals and ideas. So let's get to it...
My third recipe is a chicken + rice fajita soup, very similar to my taco soup, but with more of a fajita flair and spin! I love soups during winter because comfort food is everything after a stressful, long and cold day. It being a crockpot meal simply adds all the points. Crockpot meals are simple, easy and made to last. So before I lose you, here's the recipe...
What You'll Need:
Chicken - 12-16 oz.
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Can Black Beans
1 Pk. Taco Seasoning
Cilantro (for garnish)
1. Add chicken to crockpot with 1.5 cups water and set to low. Let cook for 4-5 hours, remove and shred with two forks.
2. Put 1 cup chicken broth and 2 cups water in crockpot, still on low, and add shredded chicken.
3. Wash and chop onion and bell peppers. Bell peppers sliced lengthwise and in half into rectangles about 2 inches by 0.5 inches. Add the onion and bell peppers to the crockpot with the taco seasoning, cumin to taste and lime juice from 1 lime. Cook for 2-3 hours, stirring every 45-60 minutes.
4. 30 minutes prior to serving, make 1 cup of rice as you normally would either in a rice cooker or in a pot on the stove.
5. Serve soup over rice and garnish with cilantro.